Braces in New Braunfels, TX
A straighter smile for a healthy & confident future.
Our high-quality braces treatment in New Braunfels is the choice of many families in the area and those surrounding. But did you know that orthodontics does more than just improve the look of your child’s smile? Having straight teeth has other benefits that result in a healthier mouth and overall well-being.
Braces in New Braunfels, TX
Braces are a great orthodontic treatment that correct issues with your child’s teeth, such as crowding, gaps, and misalignment. Your child’s braces will straighten and slowly align your child’s teeth so that they can have a beautiful smile and bite. There are a variety of braces to choose from, and your child’s orthodontist at our dental office in New Braunfels, TX, will consult with you and your child to provide the best treatment plan.
The Different Types of Braces
- Traditional metal braces
- Ceramic braces
- Lingual Braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Clear aligners, e.g., Invisalign
How Do the Different Types of Braces Work?
During your child’s orthodontic visit, our doctor will ask you questions about your child’s health, take a digital scan of your child’s teeth, conduct a clinical exam, order x-rays of your child’s mouth and head, and take photos of their teeth and face before choosing the best treatment plan that fits their unique situation.
Here is how different braces work:
Traditional Metal Braces
These braces are popular amongst teens and children. They work by applying brackets to the teeth with a wire, which will begin to move the teeth into their correct position. Your child’s orthodontist will need to make a few adjustments every four to eight weeks to move the teeth into place. The treatment length depends on your child’s unique case.
These braces are clear and are made of tooth-colored material. They work just like traditional braces, but they are slightly larger and less visible than metal braces. Teens or adults who want more of a discreet look usually opt for ceramic braces. They are also a more affordable option.
These braces are a specialized treatment and the least common form of braces treatment on the market. They require a set of orthodontic skills that are not easy to find. They are placed behind the teeth and offer a more discreet advantage than other braces. At the start of your child’s treatment, lingual braces may affect their speech.
These braces work just like ceramic and metal braces and are available in clear and metal materials. They rely on brackets and wires to move the teeth. However, the difference here is that they use clips or doors to hold the wire in place rather than elastic ties, which means they are easily adjustable.
Clear Aligners (e.g., Invisalign®)
These types of braces have become very popular in the last decade and are revolutionary. They are transparent, and this makes them nearly impossible for others to see. This is an excellent treatment to choose if your child or teen would like a discreet way to straighten their teeth.
Invisalign® – These clear aligners can be removed easily, making it easy to brush, floss, eat and drink. The treatment time is much less than traditional braces, and they require shorter appointment visits. Invisalign® is great for patients who have mild to moderate teeth issues or who need a quick touch-up.
The Benefits of Braces
There are various benefits of the different braces available:
- Prevention of tooth decay
- Prevention of gum disease
- Improved confidence
- Improved comfort
- Reduced risk of damaged teeth
- Improved digestive health
- Reduced risk of potential dental problems
- Bone erosion prevention
Am I a Candidate for Braces?
Our orthodontist in New Braunfels, TX, will recommend the best treatment with braces for your child’s unique situation. They may be a good candidate for treatment if you have the following dental problems:
- Open bite
Here is a bit more information about what makes good candidates for different types of braces:
- Traditional metal braces – These are suited for candidates who require affordable teeth straightening treatment. These braces can straighten severely crooked teeth.
- Ceramic braces – These are suited for candidates who require discreet treatment in a faster period of time.
- Lingual braces – These are suited for candidates who need a personalized, specialized treatment plan as well as a discreet option.
- Self-ligating braces – These are suited for candidates who don’t want discomfort, require fewer dental visits, and who need faster results.
- Clear aligners like Invisalign® – These aligners are suited for candidates who would like a more modern, discreet approach to fixing their teeth. They also work much faster than normal braces do and have minimal discomfort.
How Often Will My Child Need to Visit Their Doctor for Traditional Braces Treatment?
Patients with traditional braces can expect scheduled visits at our practice in New Braunfels, TX, every four to eight weeks. Our orthodontist will evaluate your child’s progress, and their braces will be adjusted to maintain progress. You can expect that our orthodontist will replace elastics, and replace and tighten wires.
How Often Will My Child Need to Visit Their Orthodontist for Invisalign® Treatment?
If your teen or child has Invisalign®, you can expect to visit their orthodontist every four to six weeks. These follow-up appointments are necessary for our orthodontist to check that their treatment is working well.
How Do I Maintain My Child’s Braces?
It’s important to practice good oral hygiene before, during, and after treatment with braces. Here are a few tips for caring for your child’s braces:
- Brush teeth to remove beverage and food debris
- Choose the correct floss, toothpaste, and mouthwash
- Floss at least once a day
- Braces-friendly diet
- Use an oral irrigator to clean braces and teeth
What Foods to Avoid With Braces
Certain foods can have a negative impact on your child’s braces because they can get stuck between wires and brackets. Here are foods to avoid:
- Crunchy foods – chips, ice, popcorn
- Chewy foods – licorice, candy, bagels
- Hard foods – candies, nuts
- Sticky foods – caramel, chewing gum, hard syrups
- Foods that require biting – apples, carrots, corn
How To Clean Teeth With Braces
Cleaning one’s teeth with braces can be a process. Here are some helpful tips:
- Use a soft toothbrush. Cleaning the top part of the teeth between your child’s gums and brackets is important.
- Brush after every meal
- Brush teeth for 2 minutes
- Don’t use too much toothpaste
- Use floss or a Waterpik
- Use mouth wash at night
How Long Will My Child Need To Wear Braces For?
On average, braces can take about 24 months to complete treatment. Depending on your child’s braces treatment and unique situation, they could require less than 12 months for treatment. If your child has minor dental issues, they may be a candidate for clear aligners, which can take less time to complete treatment.
What Is the Cost of Braces in New Braunfels, TX?
- Traditional metal braces can cost between $3,000 to $7,500
- Ceramic braces can cost between $2,000 to $8,500.
- Lingual braces can cost between $5,000 to $13,000.
- Self-ligating braces can cost between $2,000 and $7,000.
- Clear aligners like Invisalign can cost $3,000 to $7,000.
Give our orthodontic office a call to schedule a consultation and discuss what the cost will be for your child’s unique smile.
Are Braces Painful?
Braces do not hurt when they are applied to your child’s teeth, and they can expect mild discomfort for a few days or weeks after treatment. This is because your child’s teeth are moving into the correct position.
Call Us Today to Get Started With Braces in New Braunfels, TX!
If you want to learn more about our high-quality, affordable braces, give us a call or schedule a consultation online today! Our friendly staff will happily assist you.
We look forward to meeting you and starting your child’s smile journey together!